Sunday, June 15, 2008

Thing 2 - - - Starting out

So here I am playing with Web 2.0 tools and having fun doing it. My plan is to use this blog space as a vehicle to communicate with my High School Name That Book Community which consists of readers from several high schools, their sponsors, and possibly parents. I will track my efforts on our current reading list and comment about my reactions to titles as I read them. I also plan to post any news about the books and authors that we are reading. With my job, I frequently run into opportunities that I would like to share with all of you. The first book I read this year is The Absolutely True Diary of a part-time Indian. Sherman Alexie is a fantastic writer and certainly deserved the National Book Award for this effort. Part-time Indian is funny, smart, and compelling. Definitely will be one of the best ones on this year's list. I have not received my Name That Book shipment yet but hope to receive the order this coming week. Can't wait. Unpacking a box of new books is one life's greatest pleasures!

For my Library2Play class, I need to comment on being a life-long learner. I think most good teachers and librarians are by default life-long learners. For me the most difficult part is one of the most important - Habit #1, goal setting. Being a mentor to others is the easiest part of being a life-long learner. When I see great books or cool tech tools, I am literally driven to spread the word.

3 comments:

Grendel said...

I would like to know more about Name That Book for high schools!

Grendel said...

I forgot to tell you how much I like the Sherman Alexie book! I used it and a Jack Gantos clip to talk about journal writing to a summer school class. Great book!

Deb Nance at Readerbuzz said...

I loved Good Omens, Someday This Pain, and Part-time Indian best from your list.

I'm always curious as to why we have so many fiction titles on our best-of lists. Every study I've seen says we need to get boys reading and boys tend to stay away from fiction. I wish we would find more good nonfiction and add these to our good books lists.