Sunday, July 27, 2008

Thing 13 - Social Bookmarking

Del.icio.us is probably the best known and most widely used of the social bookmarking sites. I had initially tried Digg but have since moved to Del.icio.us as more of my friend and colleagues are using this as their tool of choice. Hands down this is the way to go in order to keep track more efficiently of what sites you want to access. This exercise has given me ideas about using Del.icio.us more effectively by providing me with more ideas about smart tagging practices and also ranking. I really like the idea of using an asterisk rating system. Some of the other social bookmarking sites have that ranking part built in the tagging process; perhaps Del.icio.us will add that in the future. I am ready to tag. This can be a real boon to research and would be great for teachers to share with their students. We have been introducing this to our ACP librarians and need to make sure that all of our librarians are using social bookmarking sites.

No comments: